[wp-hackers] Filter Visualization

Eric Mann eric at eamann.com
Wed Jul 7 16:12:40 UTC 2010

OK, this is the third time I've tried sending this email ... hopefully it goes
through for once.

Over the past week or so I've been building a JavaScript-based event bus for a
few of my projects.  In execution, it's very similar to the action hook
structure of WordPress (which itself is an extension of the filter structure in
WordPress).  Given the overwhelming popularity of filters on this list lately
:-), I had the idea for a plug-in that I wanted to pass by and get feedback on
before digging into it.

My idea: A plug-in allows you to see all filters currently being used on the
site and selectively turn them on or off without touching the code.  This would
give power users the ability to quickly shut off filters they don't like, and
would allow lay users to disable new features that might break a legacy site.

Since it would be a plug-in, it wouldn't add additional options screens to core,
but one day might even be able to take ownership of some of the filter toggles
already in core (i.e. emoticons).

Do you see any value in a plug-in like this?  Why or why not?

~Eric Mann