[wp-hackers] Home redirects to new page on WP 3.0

Michael D Adams mda at blogwaffe.com
Wed Jul 7 00:11:32 UTC 2010

>> From: mccormicky <mccormicky at gmail.com>
>> It isn't WordPress and it is not a bug.
>> You're confusing your server.
>>
>> If you make the slug different than experience-tuscany you won't get a 404
>
> So, what you're saying is that you can't have a page slug that is the
> same as a subdomain?

I don't believe this is the problem, though it's an excellent catch
definitely worth debugging.  It may be possible to contrive a scenario
in which this slug-is-the-same-as-subdomain would cause a problem, but
it is not generally a problem and would probably be highly server
dependent: likely not something core WordPress could detect and work
around.

>>> This list is not a support list.
>
> You shouldn't jump to a conclusion such as this when WP 3.0 has just
> come out.  It *could* be a bug.

A bad snip on my part.  It was meant to be a response to "Hi, I am
posting here as I can't get any help on the forums".  That is, "we
both recognize this is not the proper venue, but here's some help that
might get you started on the path to victory."

In retrospect, it probably would have been better to find the relevant
WordPress.org support forums thread and respond there.  I have since
tried to do so here: http://wordpress.org/support/topic/414774 ,
though I can't confirm it's from the same reporter.

But yes, it could be a bug in 3.0.  It could also be a bug in some
plugin exposed by 3.0 or catalyzed by the upgrade to 3.0, or a plugin
incompatible with 3.0.

>>> You have a problem with Redirects.  Do you have any redirection
>>> plugins installed?  Have you tried looking through the source of your
>>> plugins to find mentions of the wp_redirection_items and
>>> wp_redirection_modules tables (these are not core tables)?
>
>>> My guess is that this is a problem with Urban Giraffe's Redirection
>>> plugin http://urbangiraffe.com/plugins/redirection/  Do you have that
>>> plugin installed? If you disable the plugin, does the problem go away
>>> (always a good debugging step).
>
> He stated in his original post that he deactivated all the plugins and
> there was still an issue.

OP stated he believed the problem to be related to some database
tables that are not present in core but are present in the above
plugin.  OP also stated that deleting something from the DB
(presumably from those non-core tables) fixes the problem, which
points away from core code (under that presumption).

It's possible that that plugin stores pieces of its redirects in a way
that aren't properly removed even after deactivating the plugin (in
.htaccess, for example, though that specific example was already
eliminated as a possible source of the problem).  If the answer had
been "Yes I have that plugin, and yes I can confirm that deactivating
it doesn't help", that would be valuable information.

In the end, the problem may not be related to those tables at all, but
by going through these questions, people can start to figure that out.

>>> If it is this plugin that's causing the problem, I suggest you move
>>> your discussion to those support forums as the people there will be
>>> able to help you better.  If they can fix your problem, please also
>>> post a note on your WordPress.org forums thread so that people
>>> searching that site can get the answer they need.
>>>
>>> Please also direct future support inquiries to the proper channels.
>
> In the future, don't jump to conclusions, it makes the rest of us look
> like asses.

I attempted to help someone debug their site, pointed him to a
resource that might better serve them, and asked him to help others
out by reporting the eventual fix to the resource at which he
originally looked for a solution.

I apologize if my email, tone, or anyone's perception of them made
anyone look... in any way bad.

Mike
--mdawaffe