[wp-hackers] Putting the P in WordPress

Matt Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Tue Jul 6 17:39:33 UTC 2010

On 7/6/2010 1:30 PM, eric at eamann.com wrote:
> Some time ago I wrote a patch in response to a user's request that we add Skype
> and Facebook and LinkedIn and other fields to the profile page ... it was
> rejected because "There's a filter there, which means a plugin can easily
> control all of this." (ticket #11367)  It makes sense that we not include
> additional (trivial) functionality like this into core ... it made sense there
> and it still makes sense now.

For what it's worth, I think it would be nice to modernize those fields,
and even go a step further to authenticate them where possible. I would
have said so if I had seen that ticket.

> It doesn't paint a pretty picture of the core teams' opinion of the rest of the
> community ...

One of the core tenets of Open Source development is that people can
disagree, strongly, but still respect each other.

--
Matt Mullenweg
http://ma.tt | http://wordpress.org | http://automattic.com