[wp-hackers] Putting the P in WordPress

eric at eamann.com eric at eamann.com
Tue Jul 6 17:30:29 UTC 2010

The same logic could be argued in the reverse for additional filters like this.
 Write a plug-in to add the feature and see how many downloads it gets before
rolling it in to core.  Having to write a plug-in to remove a trivial feature is
one of the reasons many developers I know consider WordPress to be "bloatware."

Some time ago I wrote a patch in response to a user's request that we add Skype
and Facebook and LinkedIn and other fields to the profile page ... it was
rejected because "There's a filter there, which means a plugin can easily
control all of this." (ticket #11367)  It makes sense that we not include
additional (trivial) functionality like this into core ... it made sense there
and it still makes sense now.

To be honest, the P function didn't completely break my blog.  However, it did
mess with several images on my site.  Years ago, when I first started with
WordPress, I used the "one-click installer" my web host provided.  It set my
directory as www.mydomain.com/Wordpress ... so every image I uploaded in the 2
years I was there was stored as www.mydomain.com/Wordpress/wp-content/...  I've
gone back through and changed them (it was a bad naming schema to begin with),
but that's not really the point.  The point is that we have an inconsistent
development process:

- A trivial feature built by a member of the community-at-large is identified as
such and rejected.
- A trivial feature built by a core team member is included and requests to
remove the feature are dismissed by the core developers.

It doesn't paint a pretty picture of the core teams' opinion of the rest of the
community ...