[wp-hackers] Putting the P in WordPress

Gavin Pearce Gavin.Pearce at 3seven9.com
Tue Jul 6 12:09:31 UTC 2010

> Not rubbish at all, but standard practice in law, in both the US and the UK
> (and many other territories). Here' s one reference

Both your links only list the following scenarios for loosing trademarks:

1# trademark rights may be lost through genericity
2# improper licensing and assignment

Point 6 from which you linked to stated:
Can trademark rights be lost?
"The rights to a trademark can be lost through abandonment, improper licensing or assignment, or genericity."

None of the above apply here.

The closest condition I can find is that you have to prove you are using your trademark and it isn't abandoned - I definitely can't find any articles that suggest you must force users to match the case of your Trademark else risk losing it.

I do agree that internally you have to police your trademark, make sure employees are using the correct one, and in the correct way yes.

Mircosoft - the experts on trademark law and rights/licensing enforcement that they are, give good examples.

Microsoft PowerPoint (and Outlook in fact) will prompt me via spell check to change Powerpoint to PowerPoint. It won't however *force* me to put PowerPoint, and I can even add Powerpoint to the dictionary if I wish....

Gav