[wp-hackers] Putting the P in WordPress

mrmist listswphackers at mist.org.uk
Tue Jul 6 07:14:41 UTC 2010

In message <4C32AEE0.5070803 at mullenweg.com>, Matt Mullenweg
<m at mullenweg.com> writes

>As I said before, you are in /complete control/ of your site. It's a
>single line to remove a filter. If you don't like the filter, vote with
>your feet or with a plugin. If the function cause a non-trivial number
>of people to avoid 3.0, leave WP, or install a plugin to deactivate I
>would seriously reconsider it. In the absence of that, there are a
>1,001 better places to focus my attention with regards to WordPress.

An interesting perspective, though I think that your attention should
probably be focused on things like this.  You have a strong community
backlash against this, and, as another has said before fairly
eloquently, the attitude of the core team is coming across as being "you
don't like it, you lump it". It smacks of arrogance, which is never a
pleasant thing.  I don't recall a ticket in my recent memory which has
had so many -1s and revert comments, and yet still lives on.  That it's
recently been demoted in priority is another smack in the teeth for
those that have expressed their opinion against it.

>If someone made a better version of the function and benchmarked it
>next to the current or some of our other formatting functions in some
>real-world situations, that would be useful too, and add to the
>discussion rather than the noise. I'd love to see wp-hackers return to
>more, well, hacking.

Agreed, but as has already been stated in the ticket a better version of
the filter - IE one that discriminates against all the possible issues
whilst correcting your desired mis-spellings - is almost certain to use
more resource than the current one, which just doesn't care.

I'm loath to be involved in a debate around what is or is not proper, my
feeling on this is simply that it's caused users to experience issues
with their sites, which they've posted about on the forums.  Many of
these users have no clue how to remove a filter, and, quite rightly,
would not expect to have to install a plugin to do so after the 3.0
upgrade, without any warning.

Whilst it may be the case that the filter has existed on .com, that does
not preclude any issues and, indeed, most of the issues that have come
about are down to where the Wordpress/ [sic] directory has been placed,
or what URLs people use to access their content, something which .com
does not have to deal with.

I think that it's the arbritary nature of this filter's implementation
and the subsequent refusal to revert that has people's backs up, and
both that *and* the actual technical issues could largely have been
avoided with some pre-discussion and, perhaps, a note of warning to
upgraders who might find themselves affected.

That's my 2p worth, and all I shall say on the matter.

--
mrmist