[wp-hackers] Synchronizing Custom Taxonomies with Custom Post Types?

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Sat Jul 3 22:45:09 UTC 2010

On Jul 3, 2010, at 4:18 PM, scribu wrote:
>>> I've tried and it didn't work out too well.
>>
>> Care to elaborate?  What problems did you run into?
>
> Well, for one reason or another, the terms would get out of sync. I guess
> part of the problem was that I was using a custom edit screen for one of the
> post types (it was pre 3.0).

Yes, I could see that.

Did you disable the standard term editing screen?  For this project we plan to do that.

Hmm.  I wonder if it is really harder to do this than to use custom fields; i.e. wouldn't custom fields potentially get out of sync too?

> Also, it was pretty hard to query the relationships afterwards.

Fortunately I've got no problem with that (already doing it successfully.)

Thanks again.

-Mike

P.S. Regarding using custom fields, I'm having a concern with using an unindexed longtext field (meta_value) to store database foreign keys. I don't know what level of scale that would start causing problems for use cases where you are looking up the post given the related field. I wonder how long before it became a bottleneck?  I ask per chance others agree and if so to discuss how to improve meta for use with parent-child key use cases?