[wp-hackers] Combining plugins

Aaron D. Campbell aaron at xavisys.com
Mon Jan 4 19:04:18 UTC 2010

I don't think you can bring across your stats (and I'm glad this is the
case), but *I think* you should be able to migrate people rather
easily.  Note: I haven't tried this before:

   1. You need to make sure that the plugin you want to keep has a
      higher version than the one you're phasing out.
   2. Take the comments from the top of the new plugin (for version,
      plugin name, plugin URL, etc)  and put it into a new version of
      the old plugin.
   3. Your userbase should see that there's a new version of the plugin
      and upgrade.  Then, the new version will check a different place
      in the wordpress.org repository (because of the new comments) and
      as long as the version number is higher on the new plugin they'll
      see that another upgrade is available, which should switch them to
      the new plugin.

Let me know how it works.