[wp-hackers] WP e-Commerce + GPL + Protecting Plugins...

Brian Layman bulk at thecodecave.com
Tue Dec 14 16:52:34 UTC 2010

On 12/13/2010 9:52 PM, Dan Milward wrote:
> Hey Guys,
> Because of Brian's comments I changed the wording on our site. It now
> says less about the licensing and more about what you get when you
> make a purchase.
Very cool, Dan.  You've always had my support and I've backed, and
recommended wp-ecommerce for long time. It's helped earn me money on
projects and put up some great stores very quickly. The pre-approved
integration with the USPS saved me and others untold amounts of time.

> -- my point --
>
> The big problem here from my point of view is that there is no
> official stance or guides on this from WP on the wordpress.org
> website. And it "does" need to be on the wp.org website for this type
> of conversation to go away - otherwise its just hearsay.It is all very
> well that some of the key WP influencers out there have made
> "comments" on their blogs about this subject but I have a feeling that
> this conversation is not going away until somebody makes an official
> stance. It will just keep getting repeated. Once there is an official
> stance we cant just point people to a link... and its all good. Man
> hours saved = more beer o'clock.
> So in Open Source Spirit I am going to start fleshing something out
> over the holidays. I think I have a fairly good understanding of how
> this whole freemium model works, I have an ok understanding of what is
> allowed and what isnt. And there are other people out there on this
> list that also seem to have their finger on the pulse, so I'll start
> asking around and see what I can come up with.

I think this is an EXCELLENT idea.

Thank you for stepping up to help take this bull by the horns,

-Brian