[wp-hackers] Premium plugin protection

Michael Torbert mrtorbert at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 09:33:07 UTC 2010

> Please correct me if I'm wrong but
> http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/about/ seems to imply that a plugin
> has to be gpl compatible to be hosted on .org. It does not say that a plugin
> not hosted on .org has to be gpl compatible. Does it?

The GPL license says that.

> It seems that profiting from plugins is a bit of a taboo subject. Is this
> because it is genuinely frowned upon by the community or because it is
> actually against the ethos of wordpress. Which may be the same thing.
>
> No to all.

> It is interesting to me that there is little online regarding premium
> plugin development.

What information exactly do you think there should be about commercial
plugin development? That isn't the responsibility or concern of
wordpress.org. We don't care as long as you abide by the GPL, and by the
rules of wordpress.org, neither of which prohibit profiting.

> Should wordpress (matt) simply take a stance on premium plugins? Has he
> already?
>
> Again, it's not his concern all the details of what you do with your
plugins, as long as you don't violate the license. I'm not sure what other
"stance" you're looking for from him. He isn't at all opposed to commercial
plugins, or to making money from WordPress-based services, products, etc.