[wp-hackers] Switching from SVN

Peter Westwood peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk
Fri Dec 10 11:24:33 UTC 2010

On 10 Dec 2010, at 05:51, Eric Mann wrote:

>> No. Merges are hard because *merges are hard*.
>
> I'm going to agree with Scribu here.  I used to think merges were hard
> because *merges are hard* ... until I switched to a different system.
>
> Mercurial, for example, merges entirely differently than SVN.  SVN looks at
> the current state of two files and attempts to infer the differences between
> them to combine the files.  Conflicts occur frequently and can be a pain to
> reconcile.

I think you will find svn is much better at merging than just looking at the two files.

It can quite happily merge changesets between branches and even different repositoies

Yes conflicts occur but for the same reason they occur in other VCS's - people change the same lines of code.

Cheers
--
Peter Westwood
C53C F8FC 8796 8508 88D6 C950 54F4 5DCD A834 01C5