[wp-hackers] Switching from SVN

Eric Mann eric at eam.me
Fri Dec 10 05:51:00 UTC 2010

> No. Merges are hard because *merges are hard*.

I'm going to agree with Scribu here.  I used to think merges were hard
because *merges are hard* ... until I switched to a different system.

Mercurial, for example, merges entirely differently than SVN.  SVN looks at
the current state of two files and attempts to infer the differences between
them to combine the files.  Conflicts occur frequently and can be a pain to
reconcile.

Mercurial works its way backwards from each changeset to the common ancestor
of both branches.  By moving through every change, it can build a much
fuller picture of how each files has changed - even if two developers change
the same line of code!  It's not magic, and you'll still run into the
occasional conflict, but they're not anywhere near as common as with SVN.