[wp-hackers] Achieving faceted navigation

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Wed Dec 8 15:42:39 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 9:35 AM, Haluk Karamete <halukkaramete at gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree Scribu.. but when it comes to performance and ease of use, can
> we also say cus. tax way is superior over category way? that's one
> area, I am unable to gather in this matter.
> give me all posts that's been categorized in so and so, been tagged
> with blah, blah and blah and also been tagged under cus. taxonomy a,
> which way is better or easier...
>
> how do you do pull the records say,
> give me all videos, that's top notch and awesome finishes across all sports...

Read this to understand things better:
http://ottopress.com/2010/wordpress-3-1-advanced-taxonomy-queries/

The advanced query would be basically the same for both approaches.
Except in one you'd use the category taxonomy everywhere, and in the
other you'd use different taxonomies. The resulting query to the
database would have the same set of joins and such and would take an
equal amount of effort.

> which way would be easier/faster/flexible/etc/etc using cats vs cus. taxes?

They're basically identical. The difference is that custom taxonomies
is easier to manage from the editing screen and looks better than
showing everything in a big hierarchy of categories. Each taxonomy
would have it's own meta box instead of having everything lumped
together as a category.

-Otto