[wp-hackers] Achieving faceted navigation

Haluk Karamete halukkaramete at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 15:35:31 UTC 2010

I agree Scribu.. but when it comes to performance and ease of use, can
we also say cus. tax way is superior over category way? that's one
area, I am unable to gather in this matter.

example

say, your post X goes into
cat 23 ( topics>sports>basketball ),
and also in cat 67 ( places>la>staples center),
and also in cat 99 ( people>basketball players>kobe ),
and also in cat 45 ( media>video) ,
and also in cat 29 ( quality>topnotch
and the post X is also been tagged as "Awesome Finishes"

as opposed to

your post X goes into
cat 23 ( topics>sports>basketball ),
and also been tagged with "staples" center under cus. tax. [places]>[la]
and also been tagged with "kobe" under cus. tax. [people]>basketball players
and also been tagged with "video" under cus. tax. [media]
and also been tagged with "top notch" under cus. tax. [quality]
and the post X is also been tagged as "Awesome Finishes"

now, looking at these two examples, both approaches are trying to
sort-out the post into proper buckets so that we can pull the posts
when we need to for different mind/user sets.

the question is....

when you need to do lots of multiple loops on a page template that
does things like

give me all posts that's been categorized in so and so, been tagged
with blah, blah and blah and also been tagged under cus. taxonomy a,
which way is better or easier...

how do you do pull the records say,
give me all videos, that's top notch and awesome finishes across all sports...

which way would be easier/faster/flexible/etc/etc using cats vs cus. taxes?