[wp-hackers] WP Hosting

Christopher O'Connell jwriteclub at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 19:14:14 UTC 2010

For slicehost (and most of the VPSs) you need to configure it, BUT,

1) It's nothing very complicated
2) There are excellent tutorials at Slicehost (and others) about what you
need to do
3) There's far less "crapware" on a slice with just what you need than on
most "panel configured" systems. You'll be amazed how much faster it runs.

I don't dislike the Media Temple (mt) grid, but, I wouldn't recommend it for
a commercial site. While it is quite inexpensive, it is too slow for a
commercial site, and experiences weird and unexpected outages, data loss,
&c. I use it to host dev sites and sites that I'm "giving away" (e.g. hobby
groups, &c.), but host production sites on Slicehost or Amazon EC2. I
haven't used the new Rackspace cloud servers yet, but they seem interesting.

The managed wordpress seems like a really interesting option, but I'm not
sure I could give up that much control.

My 2c.

~ Christopher