[wp-hackers] WP.org plugin repository - multiple users

Lox lox.dev at knc.nc
Sun Aug 22 09:24:59 UTC 2010

2010/8/22 Peter Westwood <peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk>

> Personally I find the git workflow which encourages everyone to fork an
> exceptionally bad way to build a community around some code.
>
> It also seems to lead to the situation where you can search for a project
> and find that there are 10s of different source code repositories and it is
> not always obvious which is the real one and which are the personal forks.

That is not true. A fork graph gives all that information. We, the
cyanogenmod team of android, are using it intensively and it is full of
success, we do not have any problem with it and we have not found any
drawbacks for now nor any need to use something else. And, using a tool like
gerrit and the team feature of github, it makes it obvious that it is the
main repo (eg: http://github.com/cyanogenmod)

Anyway if any day WP.org wants to use it there is the possibility to link
the plugin to the main repo, all other forks will be just workspaces not
linked to any plugin on WP.org.

>  Collaborative development works exceptionally well with subversion - yes
> git /may/ have some stuff which makes certain scenarios easier for certain
> people but it is not the best revision control system by a long stretch and
> has a much higher barrier to entry that subversion does for new developers.

It is much better with github and forks. I experienced many time the
difference on contributing on a github project and a WP.org one... It is
huge and github projects are progressing faster because it is really easy to
anyone to contribute. Saying the opposite is a non sense.

And if you say git is difficult to learn means u don't know about it. I have
been able to learn it in half a day and the documentation around it is well
written.

SO many big famous projects use it with success (linux kernel ...........)

> > *How wp.org is know, fraining development and innovation whereas much
> better
> > exists. *
> >
> > A simple example: I corrected about all error notices on Otto's SFC
> plugin
> > and I have added French locales. I put the code on github and sent him a
> > mail to add my changes to his plugin. Bu he did not... Why? Most
> certainly
> > because it is a pain with how wp.org is, who wouldn't apply commits that
> fix
> > error notices?
>
> Maybe you should have sent him a patch file instead against the svn
> repository.
>
> That way you would have made it as easy as possible for him to apply your
> changes rather than expect him to possibly learn a new tool just to get your
> changes.

I did send him a link to my commits on Github, commits are detailed patches
and downloading them is as simple as clicking a button ...

--
Lox
lox.dev at knc.nc