[wp-hackers] custom_post_type and custom taxonomy naming

Angelia Baladon angelia at 10sexyapples.com
Sun Aug 22 00:53:23 UTC 2010

Well, I'll be a Monkey's Aunt. My overly suspicious,
quantum-physics-if-you-can't-see-what's-happening-then-anything-is-possible-even-if-it-appears-to-be-illogical-thinking,
has served me well for once.

Something just didn't feel right about it to me, so I went with
custom_post_type = product & custom_taxonomy = product type. I mean,
logically that works better anyway as the taxonomy *is* an actual "taxonomy"
( a methodology for grouping different "types" of things ). That made the
most logical sense to me. And I was able to maintain consistency across the
board with Solution & Solution Type, Event & Event Type.
voila!

I can see where it could cause problems somewhere, somehow, just due to the
fact that so often a "slug" or label, or name is used in code somewhere
instead of an ID. Personally I always use ID, always. It just feels more
safe. It will always be unique and it will never change ... well, unless
something unspeakable happens.

Thanks for the feedback~