[wp-hackers] creating blogs across several installs

Potkanski, Jason jpotkanski at tribune.com
Mon Apr 12 16:27:17 UTC 2010

There is a multi-site plugin for Wordpress MU that allows multiple sites in the same database for a wordpress MU installation. http://wpmu.org/multisite-manager/ (wpmu.org looks down). Written by David Dean.

If you use custom permalinks on any blogs, I have a patch for the multi-site plugin for 2.8.6-2.9.2.

To allow logins across all your sites, set this in wp-config.php:
define('DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE', $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'] );

Since MU doesn't have a global aliasing ability, (www.x.com/blog can be seen at www.y.com/blog and www.z.com/blog), you'll have to create 5 separate blogs and sync the data in the tables to each of the 5 separate blogs. Or, solve the global alias problem.

One approach is to create a master blog and use RSS feeds for the 4 sub blogs. Commenting would be "desynced" with this approach.

Using multi-site at least gets all your data into one database structure.

--

Jason Potkanski
Tribune Technology