[wp-hackers] how to use wp_version_check() function?

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Mon Sep 14 19:46:38 UTC 2009

wp_version_check() performs the version check, and then sets the
update_core transient if there's a new version. It doesn't return
anything of value.

Basically, WordPress checks for updates all by itself. All you have to
do is to do a get_transient( 'update_core' ) and then, when it
changes, it'll have information about a new version in it which you
can use to send the email.

-Otto