[wp-hackers] Making Updates Friendlier?

Ozh ozh at planetozh.com
Wed Sep 9 07:55:53 UTC 2009

A few ideas as well.

I think the current "there's a new WP version out" nag is not big enough.
I've seen it real life: it doesn't pass the wife test, she simply does not
pay attention to it, and when asked about it, she goes "oh yeah, didn't
see it, thanks!"

Why not make it bigger? Something like a once per day lightbox popup, with
"Close, thanks, I'll see later" and "Please upgrade now" buttons.

On the "WP upgrade broke my site", it's obviously 98% FUD and 0.5% of
people who indeed experienced problems. Since there have been a few of
them lately, why not make a poll about upgrading and let people express
themselves? How many people upgrade with absolutely no fear? How many are
a bit shaky but eventually it all goes fine? How many really had troubles
with the recent releases?*

Cheers

Ozh

[*] such a poll should imo let 2.3 out of the scope because this release
did break a number of themes because of the new DB schema & taxonomy
functions.