[wp-hackers] Plugin License Excluding Spam

Jennifer Hodgdon yahgrp at poplarware.com
Fri Oct 23 15:36:35 UTC 2009

Otto wrote:
> - WordPress is licensed under the GPLv2. The GPLv3 is not compatible,
> because of the additional restrictions it imposes. There's no code or
> documentation I'm aware of that allows you to up-version with
> WordPress and the license, so AFAICT, the GPLv3 is not an acceptable
> license for WordPress plugins and/or themes.

I think you are wrong there. The readme.html file in the WordPress
distro says:

"WordPress is released under the GPL (see license.txt)."

license.txt says:

"If the Program does not specify a version number of this License, you
may choose any version ever published by the Free Software Foundation."

WordPress does not specify a version number (except I do see a GPL v2
reference in xmlrpc.php, and there are specific licenses on some
individual 3rd-party files that are included in WordPress), as far as
I can see.

So you may choose any version of the GPL, by my reading. I'm not an
attorney...

   --Jennifer

--
Jennifer Hodgdon * Poplar ProductivityWare
www.poplarware.com