[wp-hackers] Plugin License Excluding Spam

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Fri Oct 23 14:35:41 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 7:00 AM, Chuck Peters <cp at ccil.org> wrote:
> I would prefer to use the GPL3, but I need some CYA against those spaming
> criminals/jerks. Ignoring the issue of how effective a deterrent a software
> license would be to spamers, can I add restrictions against spaming
> (including specific damages fees) to one of the GPL compatible licenses?
>
> Which license would allow me to make the extra restrictions?
>
> I don't think the GPL 2 or 3 would allow me to make these kind of
> restrictions against spamers.  So if I can't restrict it from being used for
> spam I am not likely to release it as a plugin.

A few points:

- WordPress is licensed under the GPLv2. The GPLv3 is not compatible,
because of the additional restrictions it imposes. There's no code or
documentation I'm aware of that allows you to up-version with
WordPress and the license, so AFAICT, the GPLv3 is not an acceptable
license for WordPress plugins and/or themes.

- If you use GPL-anything, you cannot impose additional restrictions
of any kind.

- Any license that does impose additional restrictions, like a no-spam
clause, is incompatible with the GPL, and couldn't be included in the
WordPress extend section.

-Otto
Sent from Memphis, TN, United States