[wp-hackers] Wordpress automatic update fail-ish

Art Delano ajd at cloudiness.com
Thu Oct 22 04:02:40 UTC 2009

I attempted to update a client's site from WP 2.8 to 2.8.5 through the
automated updater. The updater was stuck for a long time (roughly five
minutes), so I killed it and replaced the WordPress system manually,
by FTP.

There are two odd things.

1. Post-FTP, there was no interstitial about updating the database
2. There's a yellow bar on admin pages saying "An automated WordPress
update has failed to complete - please attempt the update again now".

The site appears to be working normally now; randomly poking at
various pages and posts doesn't indicate anything's wrong. Aside from
the yellow bar, is there cause for worry? I'm loathe to try the
automated update again if it locked up the first time. And I'd like to
know what's going wrong rather than try bulk-replacing the WordPress
engine again.