[wp-hackers] WordPress as CMS (was: wordpress security)

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Wed Oct 21 21:46:56 UTC 2009

On Oct 21, 2009, at 5:00 PM, mark waterous wrote:

> It occurs to me that Posts, in combination with the WP_Query object
> is one
> of Wordpress' most powerful features for customization and
> functionality.
> This has been demonstrated time and again by various designers and
> developers. Maybe changing the naming conventions would be a better
> practice, or removing Pages instead? That would leave you with the
> ability
> to still tag and categorize posts for use in custom template
> designs, or
> attach comments, which can be a major factor in most online
> communities.

I'd really like to see the arbitrary feature sets of Pages vs. Posts
go away and allow us to decide which Pages can be Tagged, which Posts
can be assigned to the menu structure, etc.

Actually, allowing for custom post types where each post type can
choose which features it supports it what we really need.

On Oct 21, 2009, at 5:07 PM, Otto wrote:
> - Easy to work with (I assure you that MediaWiki is dead simple, you
> might want to have a look)

Sorry, compared to WordPress, MediaWiki is a joke.  I've worked with
it and it's a nightmare. It's not a valid solution for a business
website.  Never again.

-Mike Schinkel
WordPress Custom Plugins
http://mikeschinkel.com/custom-wordpress-plugins/