[wp-hackers] This was painful to read...

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Sat Nov 28 12:02:43 UTC 2009

This was painful to read. Not because I disagree, but because I can't disagree even though I wish it were not true:

From: http://birdhouse.org/blog/2009/11/11/drupal-or-django/

"For example, it makes sense to build student magazines, handbooks, FAQs, and blogs with WordPress. But it’s simply not possible to build an equipment checkout system, or a course evaluation system, or a student/faculty/staff directory with WordPress — not while trying to preserve your sanity. That’s because WordPress assumes so much about the structure of your data — it thinks every piece of content has a title, a summary, an author, etc. Start to veer away from that basic data structure and you find yourself quickly needing a platform that doesn’t make assumptions about how things should be done. For those kinds of problems, we use Django."

At least for me, this is the crux of my issues with URL routing; WordPress wants to force me to use a certain URL structure that doesn't fit many use cases when it would be so easy to have WordPress handle URL routing more generically. If the difficulty in URL routing could be fixed, most everything else would be easy to fix.

-Mike Schinkel