[wp-hackers] Username Madness

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Tue Nov 3 17:17:43 UTC 2009

>> Also, what if I want my display_name to be something different?
>
> You should use wp_usermeta.nickname instead of display_name.

No, because I have a nickname already. So, what if I want my display
name to be a fourth option? You're discounting customization and
plugins.

Forget the existing User Interface and how it works. Display name does
not have to be any of the three choices you make. It'll work just fine
if I manually set it to something else.

In other words, you're making the assumption that display_name must be
one of those three. That assumption is incorrect. It can be a fourth.
The fact that the core code only gives three options doesn't mean that
a fourth option cannot be created by external code.

The interface is not the database.

-Otto
Sent from Memphis, TN, United States