[wp-hackers] Plugin base classes

scribu scribu at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 07:22:12 GMT 2009

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 9:03 AM, Simon Wheatley
<simon at sweetinteraction.com>wrote:

> What do people use in the way of plugin base classes when developing, and
> why do you use what you use?
>
> I'm using Joghn Godley's plugin base class, which I've found really
> helpful. The main issues I've hit is needing one instance of the class file
> per plugin; which makes the Strider thing interesting. I've been wondering
> about creting dependencies in my plugins, so one plugin won't work unless
> you have another installed, but this does seem complex and I wasn't sure how
> to make it nice for the user (however with the new built in plugin install
> and update it seems more possible).

I use my own plugin base classes:
http://code.google.com/p/scb-wordpress-plugin-framework/ :)

I use them mainly because they are required by most plugins. Another
advantage is code reuse: if you have more plugins that use the same class,
it is only loaded once. I think that applies to most plugin bases.

--
http://scribu.net