[wp-hackers] MediaRSS plugin in Core

Joost de Valk joost at yoast.com
Thu Jan 29 19:18:55 GMT 2009

On Jan 29, 2009, at 8:12 PM, Nathan Rice wrote:

> Joost,
> Fair enough.  Although in terms of SEO, one would think that having
> the
> <title> and <h1> match is optimal, no?
>
> And I agree about the custom meta description. Although, again, it's
> fairly
> easy to get your meta description to display your post excerpt without
> confusing users with yet another field to fill in when publishing a
> post.
>
> But like you said, if no one is proposing it, then I certainly won't
> try to
> start and argument :-)
>
> Nathan

One more answer, if you've got more questions or remarks feel free to
email me off list :)

Matching h1 and title is not at all necessary or even always better
for SEO purposes, depends on the goal of both. It could very well be
that the goal of the title of your page is more to entice people to
click, whereas the goal of the h1 might be, f.i., to contain important
keywords.

The excerpt is usually too long and doesn't contain what a description
should contain: a small piece telling ppl why they should be clicking
this article, so I usually write a custom one.

But then again, that might all be just too much work for 90% of the
users, so no need to include it in core i guess :)

Best,
Joost