[wp-hackers] Plugin Update

Brian Krausz brian at nerdlife.net
Mon Jan 26 08:46:32 GMT 2009

As a compromise couldn't you allow plugin writers to register their plugins
on WP.org for the sole purpose of checking updates.  Your server could do
pings to these sites once a day, and then relay the pings to plugin
developers.

Also, I don't think a single ping every 24 hours (a reasonable timeframe for
pushing update notification), spread out randomly throughout the day, would
kill a server.  In order to hit more than an expected 1rqs, a trivial load,
you would need 86k installs (realistically with time distributions this
would be more like 40k, but if you have 40k plugin installs, can setup an
update notification file properly, and you can't handle 1rqs on your own
server, there's something wrong.

Personally I like the first option for a much better user experience.  Plus
the WP codebase doesn't need to be touched...only the server code.

--Brian