[wp-hackers] Plugin Update

DD32 wordpress at dd32.id.au
Mon Jan 26 06:14:43 GMT 2009

Auto update and integrating with WP is easy if you know where to look/hook :)

The reason i've decided to do it this way rather than letting authors
specify a URL in the plugin is mainly due to load, Some authors are
simply not going to want to deal with a potential large number of
requests, And if many plugins take it on, Then thats umpteen requests
being made from each plugin/theme.. and potentially not all going to
return within a decent time frame..
My approach means there'd be 1 chokepoint.. my server.. which could
end up being a real bad thing.. but assuming things work cleanly and
fast.. there shouldnt be too much of a problem, But it reduces the
load on authors servers too (I know a lot of authors have hosts with
slim available resources). But it also means 1 extra HTTP request per
update check, even if a dozen plugins use the system.. which should be
much faster for end-users of the plugins.