[wp-hackers] Importing HTML files as pages -- been done?

DD32 wordpress at dd32.id.au
Sat Feb 7 08:11:42 GMT 2009

> I have the opposite problem and can't find a solution. I need to convert a
> WP site to static HTML pages. In case anyone is wondering why, it's a local
> govt site for a now defunct organisation that will never be updated again
> but has to be kept alive for three years (legal/archive reasons). Removing
> WP would reduce maintenance to almost zero. I could sit and manually save
> and clean up 600+ pages  but it would take longer than the current
> maintenance time. No amount of searching has so far come up with a usable
> solution but if anyone knows of a way I'd be eternally (well, three years)
> grateful.

I cant mention any software by name, But theres a large number of
"Website Rippers" and "Offline Saver" software's which download entire
websites, and keep the links exactly the same, and the document
structure the same.

ie, It'd convert  /wordpress/page-name/ into a file:
c:/www/wordpress/page-name/index.html, requests for
/wordpress/page-name/ cause the webserver to serve up index.html...
etc.

I've used that a few times in the past for converting php sites into
standard .html as required for submittal.. (Great for creating the
menu's and templating for static sites, Just php it to start with,
then rip it to .html afterwards, saved me a heap of time in the past)