[wp-hackers] Wordpress as a CMS

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Sat Dec 19 21:54:56 UTC 2009

On Dec 18, 2009, at 9:44 PM, Jean-Patrick Smith wrote:
> Wordpress as a CMS is only feasible if you do it the PodsCMS way, you can't
> really scale well using the other CMS plugins that just make
> editing/displaying meta values easier.

While I actually agree with you on this I wanted to let you know that AFAIK Matt disagrees.  I was fortunate to have had a long conversation about this with Matt at WordCamp Birmingham and he told me him does not believe in the PodsCMS/Drupal CCK approach. He said that as far as he was concerned such an approach will never make it into the WordPress core, instead preferring meta tables.

That's my memory of the conversation anyway.  I'd love it if Matt would jump in to clarify his comments if I misrepresented his position on this and also to give his rationale for why the PodsCMS/Drupal CCK approach is the wrong way to go.

>> Interesting. In your opinion how would a plugin have to impement the
>> functionality of Pods/Flutter while still maintaining the WP Core
>> architecture? (this is an honest question, not a baited one.)

> You can only do it those two ways. I guess you could make it text based and
> save your generated files to the filesystem... but that's about it:
>
>   1. Store everything in custom created tables like podscms
>   2. Store everything in the posts_meta table
>   3. Create or implement a templating language and save generated files and
>   settings to the filesystem

Yes, those are the obvious ones.  I was hoping Eric had some innovative ideas I hadn't considered.

-Mike