[wp-hackers] Plugin Privacy Option (was Revisiting phone home and privacy)

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Fri Dec 11 04:39:06 UTC 2009

On Dec 9, 2009, at 9:42 AM, Chris Jean wrote:

> [W]hy not add the ability for a plugin to opt out of having its information included in the update request? This should only require a minimal change to the update code and won't require any changes to the update servers.
>
> Here's an example of what such a privacy entry would look like in a plugin:
>
> Plugin Name: Internal Plugin
> Plugin URI: http://itsasecret.com/
> Author: Bernard Madoff
> Version: 7.2.1
> Author URI: http://thisisalsoasecret.com/
> Disable Updates: yes
>
> Of course, the exact phrase to use is open to discussion.

A decent idea, but...

1) If using a new header, I think we should *not* use a "yes to a no".  That is, the header should be "Updates:", and you set it "no" to turn it off.

2) Personally I think this is more of a plugin area.  "Disable Plugin Update Checks" could allow you to turn checks off entirely, or toggle checks on a plugin by plugin basis by modifying the array that is sent to the server.

Personally I FAR prefer #2.  New headers should be rare, and this doesn't seem like a best case for that.  I think this could be done very nicely with a (not too complicated!) plugin, and I think that's what it should be.

3) If a particular plugin for some reason shouldn't be auto-updated, I believe the plugin can remove itself from the update array.  I confused at the concept of a particular plugin being concerned for privacy for just its own use.  Again, #2 makes more sense to me.

Stephen

--
Stephen Rider
http://striderweb.com/