[wp-hackers] Plugin Privacy Option (was Revisiting phone home and privacy)

Chris Jean gaarai at gaarai.com
Wed Dec 9 15:42:48 UTC 2009

I thought of including this in my response to the main topic, but it
would just get lost in there.

At some point in the conversation, the idea of sharing plugin data for
all plugins and not just plugins from the repo was shared. I pondered on
this for a bit, and I think I have a good solution to this problem.

To me, the only solution for plugin updates is for the server to send
what it has since any other option would be highly-inefficient or very
error prone. So, why not add the ability for a plugin to opt out of
having its information included in the update request? This should only
require a minimal change to the update code and won't require any
changes to the update servers.

Here's an example of what such a privacy entry would look like in a plugin:

Plugin Name: Internal Plugin
Plugin URI: http://itsasecret.com/
secrets of an entire corporation summed up in a plugin name.