[wp-hackers] Revisiting phone home and privacy

Alex Hempton-Smith hempsworth at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 9 14:11:42 UTC 2009

I think the problem is data being sent *at all* without the ability for
users to easily control it (without installing plugins to protect their
data), regardless of what that data is and how personally identifying it is.

With a preference pane in place (the anonymous data prechecked) it also
gives us scope to allow users the option to start sending some more
interesting data:

recording which admin pages you visit most often or how often your posted /
how many comments you received

Which would be great for some usability stats etc. I have no objection to
that data being sent, I have no ojection to the more general data being sent
-* just give me the choice*!

-- Alex  (Hempsworth)