[wp-hackers] Revisiting phone home and privacy

Doug Stewart zamoose at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 13:25:37 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 4:38 AM, Peter Westwood <peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk>wrote:

>>  * The url of the site doing the checks - so we can differentiate between
> different clients in order to aggregate the version numbers correctly.

Why not send an MD5'd (or maybe SHA'd) hash of the URL? You're guaranteed
the uniqueness per reporting site but don't have a way to reverse the hash
to get an explicit URL. Perhaps that would alleviate some of the issue folks
are tripping over?

(Leaving aside the fact that you'll still have the IP of the reporting site
and thus could guess what site a given request came from, if pressed...)

--
-Doug
@zamoose