[wp-hackers] Hosting Profiles (WAS: Tips for moving a Wordpress install)

Steve Taylor steve at sltaylor.co.uk
Tue Dec 1 21:51:31 UTC 2009

> This could solve a problem that far too many people experience and make WordPress more accessible for serious use.

I don't feel able to assess the proposed solution, but I'll second the
general idea. I'm dealing with more WP clients where a dev > staging >
production set up is mandatory. The little niggles that are just
niggles on a small scale become unwieldy when moving around happens
more often, and server operations outside dev are done by tech staff
who may not know WP very well (or at all).

I've tried to do things like make sure the URLs are dev.*, stg.* and
www.*, so in theory there's little or no problems where full URLs are
stored in serialized arrays. But while there may always be plugins
that reduce portability for various reasons, it'd be great if the WP
core was pushed towards greater portability, and at least making
plugin portability easy / easier to acheive.

Steve