[wp-hackers] Tips for moving a Wordpress install

Christian Gundersson gundersson at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 21:44:15 UTC 2009

Harish,

1. mysqldump --opt -uDB_USER1 -p -h DB_HOST1 DB_NAME1 > my_db_file
2. scp username1 at foo.com:~/path/to/wp username2 at bar.com:~/new/wp
3. emacs wp-config.php
4. sed -i 's/foo/bar/g' my_db_file > my_new_db_file
5. mysql -uDB_USER2 -p -h DB_HOST2 DB_NAME2 < my_new_db_file
6. Celebrate your site going live!

This is not obvious nor trivial for the uninitiated ;) (Exept perhaps step
6, I got that down to an art form)

Thanks for all the replies, I'll take this to heart and plan with this in
mind hereafter. I'm gearing up on my WP skills and hopefully I'll be able to
contribute to this "problem" one way or the other.

//Christian