[wp-hackers] Any way to bypass $wp->query_posts()?

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Sun Apr 12 14:20:25 GMT 2009

"Otto" <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:
> I'm sorry, and I'm really not trying to be insulting,
> but I do tend to be fairly blunt. So when I say it
> makes no sense, then that is exactly

For now I will take that at face value and apologize for my reaction...

> Yes, and you have yet to present any such valid
> use-cases.

...yet it is this that type of assertion where "blunt" becomes offensive. By this statement you are saying that between you and me you are the only one of us that can judge validity of use-case. Frankly, I find that offensive. I believe that I gave you several valid use-cases and the only thing you did to "invalidate" them was to give your opinion (which you stated as fact) that they were not valid.

I have recently been deep in the WordPress core finding that use-cases I gave in our discussion are valid, and my guess is that I've been in that exact code tracing it line-by-line with a debugger more recently than you. By the same token I've found that several of the suggestions made on this list in recent past are not completely workable such as that template_redirect gives a plugin or theme dev the control they need for custom URLs because of other hard-coded limitations in the core.

Yes there are a lot of newbies that come to this forum and yes it is often helpful to try and understand what they are trying to accomplish instead of what they are asking. OTOH some people have actually explored the depths of WordPress core and it would result in less of these threads if you wouldn't assume up front that all others are ignorant and/or idiots and that your opinion is always more valid than theirs.

-Mike Schinkel
Custom Wordpress Plugins
http://mikeschinkel.com/custom-wordpress-plugins