[wp-hackers] Any way to bypass $wp->query_posts()?

SoJ Web sojweb at indiana.edu
Sat Apr 11 13:54:01 GMT 2009

There's been discussion on trac about this off and on, I see this
ticket that is relatively new:

http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/9444

I know of at least one way, but it's really roundabout, and a bit of a
pain. If you create a file called .maintenance at the root of the Web
site that just has this:

<?php
$upgrading = time();
?>

And then create a file called maintenance.php in your wp-content
directory, WordPress (2.7.1, at least) will load wp-config.php, and
start to load wp-settings.php, but will exit out after only a few
constants are defined. But it loads maintenance.php before it dies, so
you could use maintenance.php to do whatever processing you might need
with the config constants.

I agree, though, you should be able to load the config information
without loading WordPress, and it seems like it's on its way.

-Jeff