[wp-hackers] Any way to bypass $wp->query_posts()?

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Sat Apr 11 02:49:50 GMT 2009

Otto:
> It's not about causing "harm". It's about "why bother?"
> None of the scenarios you present make the slightest
> bit of sense. ... The solution you proposed, frankly,
> sucks. It causes a lot of loading of PHP files and
> processing and so on that is pretty pointless if you
> don't execute the main query. That's the reason for
> the pushback you're getting. Your idea simply makes no
> reasonable sense.

I took a deep breath and have waited a while before I responded. Your assertion that my concerns "don't make any sense" are both condescending and more than a little bit insulting. What's more your responses are seriously demotivating me regarding contributing to the WordPress community at large.

Like the proverbial blind man[1] who demands that the only possibly explanation of an elephant is that it is like a snake (and not a wall or a trunk, or anything else) you deny that there are any valid use-cases for WordPress besides ones that you've envisioned or experienced. And your unwillingness to accommodate other's views and needs when they don't affect you in any way is like someone advocating a ban on bicycles in national forests simply because you only care to spend your time fly fishing there. I would expect such behavior from an ideological politician, not from a community participating programmer.

If your goal was to stifle any reasoned and respectful debate on changes to core then congratulations, you won.

-Mike Schinkel
Custom Wordpress Plugins
http://mikeschinkel.com/custom-wordpress-plugins
[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_Men_and_an_Elephant