AW: [wp-hackers] Update of non GPL-Plugins (was Plugin licenses)

Krusty Ruffle krustyruffle at rustykruffle.com
Fri Oct 24 15:50:36 GMT 2008

> I've suggested multiple times, on-list and in Trac, that the API
> server be set up to return an additional status code -- "NOT FOUND" or
> somesuch -- and the Plugins page UI be adjusted to note that plugins
> existing off-ranch are explicitly NOT being checked for updates.
> Otherwise, the UI is confusing and misleading.  Folks will think their
> plugins are being checked for updates when, in fact, they are not.

Not that my voice really matters that much, but this should be a given...

I personally think it's wrong to write non GPL compatible code for a GPL
project, but the end users still need to know that their plugins are not
being checked for updates. It may be that people should be able to keep
track of what they have downloaded from where, but a lot of people have
multiple websites with different setups, or somebody else set it all up for
them...

Besides, if we can have a section that says "Hey, you tried these but didn't
like them or they didn't work so you disabled them and now you have to
scroll past them to enable something that might work right..." why can we
not have a "WordPress cannot check the following plugins" section?