[wp-hackers] SSL for a single page

Rich Pedley elflop at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 16 18:12:53 GMT 2008

2008/10/16 Bret McMillan <bretm at redhat.com>:
> Rich Pedley wrote:
>> 2008/10/15 Viper007Bond <viper at viper007bond.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Won't entering "https://site.com" into Settings -> General work?
>>
>> Forgive me if I've got this wrong, but doesn't that affect the whole
>> site? wouldn't everyone then get redirected to https ?
>
> I don't think so.  If you add a define(FORCE_SSL_ADMIN, true) or whatever, I
> think only the admin areas are forcibly protected.  I've been working w/
> wpmu, though, you ymmv.

> What difference in behavior do you expect?  Would you allow admin logins via
> http://elfden.co.uk/wp-admin/ ?

I don't require this for wp-admin access, this is purely for one page.

>> sorry yes I'd forgotten this - though there isn't an option to set the
>> url for this in the settings, so how does this work for those with
>> shared SSL? Would I be able to utilise one of the functions that does
>> this to help me solve the problem?
>
> It's actually set as a part of wp-config.php iirc.  Not quite sure what you
> mean re: shared ssl.

Currently the admin access via SSL can only be achieved if the site
has a dedicated SSL certificate, as it redirects http to https - no
other changes to the url are made. Shared SSL commonly has an entirely
different URL so techniques within wordpress core don't help.

My plugin, eShop, currently is only set up for payment via paypal. I
would like to add google checkout but the level of integration I'd
need is their second level - which will only interact with a site over
https. I realise I could just link direct to the relevant script, but
that would have to be a direct URL - which I am trying to avoid like
the plague because of potential issues.

Rich
--
my mind is on a permanent tangent