[wp-hackers] 2.7 Wireframes

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Tue Oct 7 20:46:08 GMT 2008

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 4:57 AM, Andy Staines <andy at yellowswordfish.com> wrote:
> Thanks Jane for the wireframes and explanations. A great help.
>
> I know the side menu topic has been flogged to death and I am coming a
> little late to the party (and I like the side menu although popup submenus
> would be nice) but a couple of queries if I may.
>
> (1) Many plugins that need to define a larger number of admin screens also
> define their own top level menu. These are being displayed (currently) after
> the 'Help' menu when ideally they should appear before it. (This makes
> organisational sense and I am also a firm supporter of Stephen Rider's
> dictum that a plugin should simply be presented as part of the base system).
> Is there a plan to change this? Maybe even allow authors to decide where to
> insert their menu (Up to a point!)?

I just committed a change to move Help to the end.

I'm thinking plugins should be able to insert a menu after the other
object menus (Posts, Pages, Comments, etc.) and at the end right
before Help.

> (2) I am looking forward to seeing these new 'icons' on the top level menus.
> Is there going to be an API to allow plugins to define their own?

Good question.  I haven't thought about it yet. Ideas on API?

> And - on a code point - although I can see no changes to the menu hooks
> (add_menu_page/add_submenu_page) current top level plugin menus are not
> working correctly. On first selecting one they are loading up the front end
> (with the inevitable 404) and only after selecting a plugin from another
> menu (say 'Manage') and then trying the top level menu ones again will they
> load the correct admin page. This may be a bug... or is it a change to the
> API that I have missed?

Is it only happening when the Dashboard is the current page?  There's
a bug there that I need to fix.  Top-level menus work for me
otherwise.