[wp-hackers] Splintered Menus in 2.7

Idled Soul idledsoul at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 04:43:36 GMT 2008

My whole thought or opinion on this is, from earlier versions on up to
2.7 here, there's been quite a few changes on the backend, and the
structuring here and there. Do you really want to have the menus
structured differently throughout various releases or what-not?

IMHO, I think it would be best, to minimize the structuring and keep it
all at a set structure system. One that makes sense and keeps everyone
happy. Then, use that same structuring system throughout almost all
versions. Of course, there's the horiztonal and now vertical menu, but
think about it from the point of view from Plugin authors and so forth.

You're going to end up having to have plugins and or admin themes (if
that becomes another big fad in the future), needing to be compatible
with various versions of WordPress from here on out. I guess I'm looking
at this from the point of view of the "future" for WordPress. You'll end
up having to have, themes or plugins for this version, that version,
this other version, and possible future versions.

If "we" get a good system / menu structure that makes sense down pat,
adjust all other versions around that system then. Even if they're
horizontal or vertical. I'm not suggesting to take 2.6 horizontal menus,
and make them vertical like 2.7's. I'm saying, some how maybe get all
the menus working on the same similar structure or whatever.

It would keep the workload for plugin authors and possible back-end
theme authors down alot. They wouldn't have to duplicate their themes or
plugins to suit or fit, for so many various versions and what-not...
Maybe this is asking for alot, I'm not sure? Maybe it's just impossible
too, but just wanted to share my views on this...

I guess I'd rather just see WordPress grow stronger and faster, without
all these possible little bumps and stuff in the roadway ahead. Example
below, it's not intended to be taken literally, just example of what I'd
hate to see happening though...

2.5 - Need to code stuff for this version. Make plugins / themes for
just this version.
2.6 - Need to code same stuff again, for just this version. Make dupes
of plugins / themes for just this version.
2.7 - Need to code same stuff AGAIN, for just this version. Make dupes
of plugins / themes for just this version alone.
2.8 - Need to code same stuff ANOTHER TIME, just for this version. Make
dupes of plugins / themes for just this version alone.