[wp-hackers] WP vs WPMU?

Doug Stewart zamoose at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 14:19:39 GMT 2008

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 1:29 AM, Mike Schinkel <mikeschinkel at gmail.com> wrote:
> Doug Stewart wrote:
>>> A better question might be: why are you leaning towards MU for the
> solution?  What does it buy you that vanilla WP doesn't, and how does that
> align with the project goals?
>
> Good question and thanks for your reply.
>
> We are launching a video-focused news and information site for a specific
> market segment that where we'll have two main constituencies that are
> synergistic. We plan to have syndicated columnists who we'd like to give
> their own blogs and later we'd like the option to build a community for the
> two constituencies using BuddyPress which requires WPMU. Finally we plan to
> create profiles for the companies of one of our constituencies and are
> exploring the use of the user profile to represent a company.
>
> I assume this makes our project goals align better with WPMU than with WP
> but maybe there are better ways?  Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> -Mike Schinkel
> http://mikeschinkel.com

You're going to have authoritative control of your DNS for the
project, correct? That's usually one of the biggest bears in getting
MU to work correctly (in a subdomain situation, at least) in my
experience.

I would press ahead with MU unless there is a single plugin that you
MUST have that is known not to work with MU (see
http://codex.wordpress.org/WPMU_Plugin_Compatibility for some hints).
It's kept relatively in-sync with WP.org and, while initial
configuration can be a bit more burdensome, for multi-user
environments with the complexity you're describing, you're going to
have a lot of issues if you decide to go the WP.org route anyways
(either hacking Authors archives so as to resemble separate blogs or
maintaining multiple instances of WP, etc.)

Just my $.02.

--
-Doug