[wp-hackers] requesting information about wp_*_style functions

Krusty Ruffle krustyruffle at rustykruffle.com
Sat Nov 1 15:38:30 GMT 2008

Okay, after sleeping a whole bunch, recovering from some bad meat I ate, and
reading all the replies here this is what I ended up with:

<?php

// Include a link to the current templates tweaks.css if it exists...
function krusty_plugstyles(){
    if(file_exists(STYLESHEETPATH . '/tweaks.css')){
        // register and enqueue our css for later addition into the head of
the page
        wp_register_style('krusted-plugstyles',
get_stylesheet_directory_uri() . '/tweaks.css', array(), '', 'screen');
        wp_enqueue_style('krusted-plugstyles');

        // since wp_print_styles() doesn't seem to run by default
        // we add a call to it with the wp_head action hook
        // set the timing to 9 to match the timing WP 2.7 will have when it
comes out
        add_action('wp_head', 'wp_print_styles', '9');
    }
}

// add an action to call our function when wordpress starts loading a page
add_action('init', 'krusty_plugstyles');

?>

Thanks for all of the advice and help, I think this is working right now,
though I do think there may be issues with the timing of it. I'm thinking I
want this file to be the last .css file linked in the head, but I suppose it
could be filled with lots of !important's to override cascades. I think
there will still be a lot of plugins echoing links in there with the wp_head
action, and I think most of them will be running on a default timing of 10.

That just made me think. Should I set the init action to a later speed so
that I can try to ensure that this .css file is at least at the end of the
wp style queue?