[wp-hackers] "Action" links for plugins (was Plugin Settings Menu Location)

DD32 wordpress at dd32.id.au
Wed May 21 00:04:19 GMT 2008

On Wed, 21 May 2008 06:41:09 +1000, Stephen Rider
<wp-hackers at striderweb.com> wrote:

> My suggestion for standard "Action" links for plugins:

standardising on the name sounds great

> Configure -- for one-time setup -- linked page DOES NOT appear
> elsewhere in Admin

I disagree there, The page should be accessable via menu's as is currently
possible, which in my mind, is the only time a page should ever appear on
the plugins page.
"Configuring" is the process of modfying settings, Whether they be initial
once-set, or changed weekly. Maybe a better word would be "Setup"

> Settings -- links to Settings pages that DO appear elsewhere in
> Admin.  Use this to avoid people not being able to find where you
> tucked it....

Settings fits in good with the rest of the admin, I would expect it to
have added a page in the settings menu.

> Uninstall -- Removes preferences, extra tables, etc from database.
> Completely remove plugin.

Note: All plugins should remove any non-user-settings such as caches/etc
on plugin deactivation, Or at least set autoload = 'no' on any of their
bulky options.

> And of course, not going anywhere, is the standard:
> Activate/Deactivate

> Stephen

Sounds great to me overall.

I'd also like to suggest:
Manage -- links to a subpage of the Manage tab