[wp-hackers] Re: GSoC 2008 Proposal: Core OpenID Support

Mahmoud Al-Qudsi computerguru at neosmart.net
Thu Mar 20 14:47:13 GMT 2008

> The main disadvantage, in my opinion, is that if it was in the core,
> then more people would use it and require registration on their blogs
> in order to comment. Since I will not register to leave a comment
> (regardless of whether they use OpenID or not) I would be unable to
> leave comments on more blogs. Especially when the lie about OpenID
> "preventing spam" becomes prevalent, which would happen despite
> everybody's best efforts.

I must disagree with this point.

Unless I misread previous posts, no one is suggesting that OpenID be forced down all users & readers throats.
All the OpenID plugins for WordPress currently out there don't focus on OpenID as a *sign-on* mechanism so much as a authentication/ID-verification method. You have the _option_ of positively identifying yourself via the OpenID architecture, or posting/commenting/logging-in the traditional way.
-MQ