[wp-hackers] Re: GSoC 2008 Proposal: Core OpenID Support

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Thu Mar 20 13:40:52 GMT 2008

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 11:30 PM, Ronald Heft <ron at cavemonkey50.com> wrote:
>  I guess, what I'm curious to know is what disadvantages would core OpenID
>  support bring?

The main disadvantage, in my opinion, is that if it was in the core,
then more people would use it and require registration on their blogs
in order to comment. Since I will not register to leave a comment
(regardless of whether they use OpenID or not) I would be unable to
leave comments on more blogs. Especially when the lie about OpenID
"preventing spam" becomes prevalent, which would happen despite
everybody's best efforts.

I do not see an authentication system as actually desirable for the
specific case of commenting. I do not want to authenticate my identity
in order to leave a comment. This is an extra unnecessary step that
should not be promoted under any circumstances.

>  Is is just people do not like the
>  standard and do not want to see it more widespread?

The standard is fine. The use case you're suggesting for that standard is not.

OpenID is a sign-on system. I do not want to be required to sign-on to
comment on somebody's blog entry. Period. This is regardless of what
methodology is used to accomplish that sign-on.

>  As I've mention, I only
>  plan to offer this as an option. I don't want to force OpenID down anyone's
>  throat.

Plugins are optional too. Roll a better plugin, make a better
implementation, make it popular first. Then it would be suitable for
inclusion in the core.

>  And Otto, I'm going to have to disagree that OpenID is not something
>  WordPress users want or use. Just look at the forums. There are requests
>  left and right for OpenID. The Idea's list is littered with multiple topics
>  requesting OpenID. Nearly all of these comments say an OpenID plugin is
>  good, but what we really need is core OpenID support.

A vocal minority is not indicative of the whole.

Define exactly how core support is better than a plugin. Why do you
want it in the core and not in a plugin? This makes no sense to the
rest of us.

If it's just because you think more people will use it, then that is
the same argument I will use against putting it in the core. I don't
want more people using it. It's being used in an incorrect manner for
this case.

-Otto